We are in greatest need for Type 3 Beanies (6.5in long), in colors: Black, red, white, brown, auburn (Lion Brand Heartland “Yosemite”), yellow (Caron Simply Soft “Sunshine”).
Magic Yarn Project Beanie Pattern
Yarn: Red Heart with Love, Red Heart Soft, Caron Simply Soft (only use SOFT yarn for these beanies so they will be comfortable enough for tender scalps to wear)
Hook: 5.50 mm (depending on the thickness of the yarn and the tension in your crochet stitches, you may find you will need to use a J hook or an H hook to get the right tension in your stitches)
Gauge: 3 sts per inch / 2.75 rounds per inch
R1: 8 HDC in adjustable loop (8) (Alternative loop: CH 2, sl st together, then 8 HDC in center – Helps to put crochet marker over chains to find center)
R2: 2 HDC in each ST around (16)
R3: *2 HDC in 1st, 1 HDC in next st*, repeat from *to* (24)
R4: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 2 sts*, repeat from *to* (32)
R5: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 3 sts*, repeat from *to* (40)
R6: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 4 sts*, repeaet from *to* (48)
R7: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 5 sts*, repeat from *to* (56)
R8: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 6 sts*, repeat from *to* (64)
Continue HDC until beanie is desired length (appx. to row 22)
Finished beanie, when lying flat, should measure 6.5in-7.5in from crown to brim (depending on Beanie Type, see below), and 8in-8.5in across the brim. When using thicker yarn or if your stitches are looser, alter pattern R8: (2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in the next 10 sts), repeat from *to* (60) to ensure the finished measurements are met.
Type 1 Beanies look similar to this!
- Will be covered with “hair” to look like a full head of “hair”
- 7-7.5 in long from crown to brim *these are our longest beanies because after they are covered and glue is added
- Colors: Red – Ariel, white – Elsa, yellow – Rapunzel, pink – Rainbow, and light blue variation – Rainbow variation
They are needed for these wigs:
Type 2 Beanies look similar to this!
- Will look like a “hat” in the finished wig and colors will contrast to the “hair”
- 6.5-7in long from crown to brim
- Colors: Purple – Rapunzel Beanie, maroon and royal blue – Anna Beanie, white and teal/blues – Elsa Beanie, and dark red – Jack Sparrow
They are needed for these Beanie-style wigs:
Type 3 Beanies (pics to come soon)
- The beanie will match the hair color, and won’t be covered with yarn
- 6.5 in long from crown to brim
- Colors: Black – Jasmine & Tiana, red – Ariel, white – Elsa, brown – Belle, auburn (Lion Brand Heartland “Yosemite”) – Anna, yellow (Caron Simply Soft “Sunshine”) – Aurora
Needed for these wigs:
Find all your supplies at our Magic Market | provided by Amazon. A portion of all purchases goes to The Magic Yarn Project!
See more crochet ideas on our Pinterest Page
Visit The Magic Yarn Project’s profile on Pinterest