Yarn: Red Heart with Love, Red Heart Soft, Caron Simply Soft (only use SOFT yarn for these beanies so they will be comfortable enough for tender scalps to wear)
Hook: 5.50 mm (depending on the thickness of the yarn and the tension in your crochet stitches, you may find you will need to use a J hook or an H hook to get the right tension in your stitches)
Gauge: 3 sts per inch / 2.75 rounds per inch
R1: 8 HDC in adjustable loop (8) (Alternative loop: CH 2, sl st together, then 8 HDC in center – Helps to put crochet marker over chains to find center)
R2: 2 HDC in each ST around (16)
R3: *2 HDC in 1st, 1 HDC in next st*, repeat from *to* (24)
R4: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 2 sts*, repeat from *to* (32)
R5: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 3 sts*, repeat from *to* (40)
R6: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 4 sts*, repeaet from *to* (48)
R7: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 5 sts*, repeat from *to* (56)
R8: *2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in each of the next 6 sts*, repeat from *to* (64)
Continue HDC until beanie is desired length (appx. to row 22)
Finished beanie, when lying flat, should measure 6.5in-7.5in from crown to brim (depending on Beanie Type, see below)), and 8in-8.5in across the brim. When using thicker yarn or if your stitches are looser, alter pattern R8: (2 HDC in 1st st, 1 HDC in the next 10 sts), repeat from *to* (60) to ensure the finished measurements are met.
Type 1 Beanie
- Will be covered with “hair” to look like a full head of “hair”
- 7 in-7.5in long from crown to brim
- Colors: Red, white, yellow, pink, and light blue
- Ariel, Repunzel, Elsa, & Rainbow
Type 2 Beanie
- Will look like a “hat” in the finished wig and colors will contrast to the “hair”
- 6.5-7in long from crown to brim
- Colors: Purple, maroon and royal blue, white and teal/blues, and dark red
- Repunzel, Anna, Elsa, & Jack Sparrow
Type 3 Beanie (pic to come soon)
- Will be worn like a hat and will match the attached “hair” color
- 6.5 in long from crown to brim
- Colors: Black, red, white, brown, auburn (Lion Brand Heartland “Yosemite”), yellow (Caron Simply Soft “Sunshine”)
- Jasmine, Ariel, Belle, Anna, Repunzel
Snowflakes, Starfish, Tiaras, & Flowers!
5 minute video on the perfect beanie!
Find all your supplies at our Magic Market | provided by Amazon. A portion of all purchases goes to The Magic Yarn Project! See more crochet ideas on our Pinterest Page Visit The Magic Yarn Project’s profile on Pinterest.