Become an Approved Wig-Maker
Approved Wig-Makers are able to craft Magic Yarn wigs from start to finish from the comfort of their own homes! As of Spring 2021, due to Covid-19 restrictions on workshops, we are ONLY accepting wigs from Approved Wig Makers. Here is how you can participate:
1. Make sure you are a Magic Circle Member. Membership is a flat $20 for a full 12-month calendar year, and grants you unlimited access to Magic Yarn’s entire library of wig-making instructions, tips, checklists, tutorial videos, and more. It also gives you access to our Member forums where you can ask questions and receive personalized help from Magic Yarn leadership. Your membership dues fund shipping costs that send your finished wigs out to little cancer fighters! You can find out everything you need to know about a Magic Circle membership here.
2. Purchase (or solicit donations from friends) all the supplies needed to make your wigs. In general, we are not sending wig-making kits to volunteers at this time. Refer to the supplies lists and shopping lists in Magic Circle for your desired wig.
3. Use the Magic Circle checklists and tutorials to make your first wig. As a word of advice, be very, very sparing in your use of hot glue! We almost never receive wigs made by volunteers at home without glue problems. If even a small speck of glue leeches through the beanie, it creates a sharp spot on the bare head of a cancer patient, and the wig becomes unwearable. There should be no glue visible anywhere on your finished wig, and no glue felt underneath the beanie when stretched.
4. Print off and fill out a Feedback Form, and ship your wig to our Northeast leader, Shelly, or West Coast leader, Katie. Shelly and Katie’s shipping addresses and contact information are listed on our Donations Locations page. Shelly and Katie manage all of our approved Magic Maker processing, as well as running our Northeast and West Coast donation sites, so please allow plenty of time for them to get back to you.
5. Wait for feedback from Shelly or Katie and work directly with her as your wig-making coach. Soon you will be ready to make the best-quality wigs for brave cancer fighters from the comfort of your home!